HOLD Uganda is a community-based nonprofit organization that establishes and implements programs focused on women and children in support of economic empowerment, community health, occupational development, child protection, and human rights education.
Tour revenue will be invested in HOLD-Uganda/ Dby Z programs supporting girls’ education in rural primary schools in Kamuli by providing them with educational materials and supplies for sanitary needs, the construction of gender segregated bathrooms, child protection rights training.
Any day by appointment
Adults, Children, Families, Youth
Tour takes place rain or shine (tour itinerary might be modified in case of inclement weather)
1 to 10
Medium (2-5 miles/ 3-8 km walking distance, some physical effort)
Clothing & Equipment
Comfortable shoes for walking
This org is new to the travel industry
Your visit will make an extra impact! Expect off the beaten path conditions.
Immerse yourself in the daily community life of rural Uganda! Participate in a customized tour based on your interests, where your friendly guides will share the local context and project areas of HOLD Uganda. Visit different sites and explore HOLD Uganda’s work in more detail at various points of interest. HOLD Uganda will provide a full package of services including transportation in spacious vans, meals, and water during travels.
Choose from the following experiences to customize your own half-day (2 activities) or full-day (4 activities) tour:
1. Environment: Witness Uganda’s most prominent and renowned water sources: the Nile River, Itanda Falls, and Lake Kyoga.
2. Education: Visit HOLD Uganda-supported schools and engage in the life of local primary school children and teachers in rural schools.
3. Agriculture: Discover gardening, harvest common crops, preserve local food, and learn to prepare local dishes.
4. Economic Empowerment: Visit individual businesses managed by HOLD Uganda, local women, and youth. Interact with the beneficiaries to understand their individual stories of empowerment and independence.
5. Visit Designs by Zoe- Tour and observe HOLD Uganda’s D by Z pillow business. Witness how pillows and other products such as uniforms, bed sheets, and more are locally produced.
6. Culture: Experience Busoga Culture through traditional dance, music, and by visiting the Busoga King’s palace (representations are available during the evening only).
7. Community Needs Identification: Participate in community meetings and focus group discussions on identifying community needs.
For evening tours, you may opt to enjoy a local dinner with dancers, a music group, and/or other entertainers.
HOLD Uganda Office, Kamuli-Jinja Road, Kamuli Town, Kamuli District, Uganda
HOLD Uganda will organize transport to pick visitors from Entebbe International Airport to Kamuli Town. While in transit tours will go through Kampala city to Jinja and Kamuli. It’s a journey that takes four hours but worth traveling. There is the Wildlife Education Center at Entebbe, Mabira tropical forest between Kampala and Jinja, River Nile in Jinja, and Lake Victoria and Kyoga in Kamuli. Transportation is by van driven by an experienced and hospitable officer.
To empower the poor and vulnerable communities to be able to effectively participate in their own community development initiatives.
Leadership skills development for youth, women, and men
Business skills development
Vocational skills development
LEAP Designs by Zoe (designer pillow business)
Micro-credit for business setup
Reproductive health and community health promotion programs