Looking for an in-home volunteer experience for yourself and your coworkers? Organize a no-sew blanket making activity for children and families in need. With no sewing required, anyone can do it! With so many cozy fleece fabrics to choose from the options are endless for your design. The blankets you create will be comforting, special items for families in difficult circumstances. All necessary supplies can be ordered online, and finished blankets can be mailed to or dropped off at the organization’s New York City or Boston location.
The instructions are simple:
- Step 1: From each piece of fleece, cut a 56” x 70” (1.5 yards x 2 yards) rectangle. It is helpful to use a marker to mark the lengths that you will cut.
- Step 2: Lay fleece rectangles on top of each other with the back sides of the fabric touching.
- Step 3: Cut out one 7” square from each corner of both fleece pieces. Drawing the squares with a marker may be helpful.
- Step 4: To make the fringe, cut 7” into both pieces of fabric at 1” intervals around all sides of both top and bottom. Marking the fringe lengths before cutting may make the process easier.
- Step 5: Knot fringed pieces together around the entire blanket using 1 strand from the front fabric layer and 1 strand from the back fabric layer. Double-knot fringes for durability. Do not pull too tight or it will bundle.